Sunday 29 April 2012

Computers in my Life - Nerd from Birth - Part 4

So where are we now in my journey of computing? Ah I think the nineties.

 

The nineties were filled with great things for me. I discovered alternative music, wargaming, roleplaying games, Vampire the Masquerade and of course .... nope... not girls. I wasn't the cool.

 

Around that time friends had consoles like the Sega Mega Drive, and then the Playstation. Weekends were spent playing games like Tekken, Resident Evil 2 and lots of Golden Eye on a set up with a N64, two tvs, a tv splitter, and some paper put across the upper or lower part of the screens for team play. Add to the mix games of Magic the Gathering and of course tv shows like Buffy, Angel and Stargate.

 

Now I never had a console. My parents weren't that flush with cash. But we did get a PC. Now at school they had PCs and so I was already used to using Word and Excel and of course a little bit mroe programming, but nothing major. In fact high school used to have a whole load of BBC computers before the switch over.

Now this was I guess the new world for computing. We got a PC, and then it wasn't long until it was connected to the net. Yeah, or course I used it for home work. But there was more. Chatrooms and forums and fan sites.

So via the PC I found more sites devoted to the goth alternative asthetic, I found White Wolf fan sites and the old online gaming chat forums. And of course there was some gaming to be had. Diablo 2, Mech Warrior and a few others.

Needless to say the PC was a important part of my life it helped me discover so many things that went on to shape who I am now.

 

Oh and dial up? What the fuck was that!

 

Yeah I wanted to be one of these guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment